If you have ever had hominy, you know how delicious it can be. However, many people are not sure how to cook canned hominy and this is where we come in.
This blog post will give you a step-by-step guide on how to cook canned hominy on the stovetop, so that you can enjoy this tasty dish any time you want!
How to cook canned hominy?
- 1 can of hominy
- Water or broth
- Optional seasonings: cumin, chilli powder, garlic powder, etc.
1. Open the can of hominy and pour it into a colander. Rinse the hominy with cold water until all of the excess starch has been removed. This will help to soften it up.
2. Place the rinsed hominy in a pot and add enough water or broth to cover it by about an inch.
3. Add salt and any desired seasonings. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until the hominy is soft.
5. Serve hot! Enjoy!
Why we love this simple Hominy recipe
Sometimes we just need or want something simple, quick and delicious to eat, so this comes in and gives us the solution easily, because:
- It’s a familiar taste, even if you never tried Hominy, it basically tastes like corn
- The flavours we add don’t require hard work. Nothing to cut!
- If you have leftover meat like bacon. It goes great with this recipe
What is Hominy anyway
Hominy is basically just field corn that has been washed and treated with lye to remove the outer layer of kernel. What is kernel you ask? Let’s see
What are Kernel?
Kernels are the fruits of the corn, or like most people know them, the corn LOL. The little things that pop when you make popcorn, that’s the kernel of the corn.
So now you have a better idea of what is hominy right? It’s basically the corn without the fruit.
Here are a few tips to help you further figure this out
Do I need to rinse canned hominy?
Yes! Rinse the hominy in cold water, then cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. This will loosen dirt or, as they call it–“the stuff.”
How long does canned hominy last?
You may keep hominy in the fridge for 5 days or so.
Is hominy healthier than corn?
Corn is a grain high in starch, which is turned into sugar when it’s digested.
Hominy is corn that has been treated with an alkali, such as lye, which breaks down the hull and germ of the kernel, so it’s lower in starch and higher in protein, thiamin, and niacin.
So hominy is healthier than corn because it has more nutrients! However, both are healthy options!
What can I do with leftover canned hominy?
There are many ways to use leftover canned hominy. You could add it to a soup or stew or even eat it as is. Another option is to make a dish like chow mein or stir-fry with some of your favourite ingredients.
Whatever you choose, canned hominy makes a quick and easy addition to any meal. So the next time you have some leftovers, don’t hesitate to get creative in the kitchen!
Cooking canned hominy is a straightforward process, and the results are well worth it! This dish can be enjoyed by itself or added to many different recipes. Give it a try today!
Thank you for reading this blog post on how to cook canned hominy. I hope you found it helpful and will give this delicious dish a try soon!
Be sure to come back and visit my blog for more recipe ideas and cooking tips. Have a great day!
More helpful cooking guides:
How to cook canned cannellini beans
I always wanted to cook Cannellini but never knew how, until now
how to cook canned corn in the microwave
Corn is maybe my favorite thing, so this guide on how to cook it really helps