Banana bread is classic comfort food that can be made at home in just minutes. This simple recipe features only 5 ingredients and is perfect for a quick breakfast or snack.
Whether you prefer banana bread with creamy butter or sweet honey, this recipe will be sure to please.
Table of Contents
Simple banana bread recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3/4 cup (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature.
- 2 large eggs, beaten.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed.
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt or sour cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the sugar and bananas, mixing well after each addition.
- Add about one-third of the flour mixture to the banana mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add about one-third of the yogurt or sour cream to the banana mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Add another third of the flour mixture to the banana mixture and mix well. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes clean.
What makes banana bread rise?
Banana bread is a popular dessert that is often made with ripe bananas, flour, sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, and salt. The baking powder helps the bread rise while baking in the oven.
The eggs also help to make the bread rise, as well as provide some flavor and moisture. The butter provides richness and tenderness to the finished product, while the sugar helps to sweeten it.
Is baking soda or baking powder better for banana bread?
Banana bread is a classic recipe made with baking soda or baking powder. Each option has pros and cons, but the final decision is up to you.
The bread will have a slightly denser texture and a more pronounced banana flavor with baking soda.
It will also raise more than baking powder. Baking powder results in a lighter, fluffier texture and less banana flavor.
Why is my banana bread not fluffy?
There are many reasons why banana bread might not be fluffy. Over-mixing the batter can result in a dense loaf, as can using too much baking powder. Too much sugar can also make a loaf heavy and cakey.
Baking too high a temperature can cause the bread to rise too quickly, resulting in a less-fluffy texture. Finally, overripe bananas will produce a more dense loaf than those that are just ripe.
How do I know when my banana bread is done?
You can tell when banana bread is done baking by sticking a toothpick in the center of the loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean, the bread is done; if it’sit’s covered in batter, it needs to bake longer.
Another way to test for doneness is to use an oven thermometer: The bread is done when the temperature reaches 200-205 degrees Fahrenheit.
What causes banana bread not to rise?
There are many reasons banana bread may not rise, including using the wrong type of flour, not following the recipe correctly, or not allowing the bread to rise long enough.
One of the most common causes of banana bread not rising is overmixing the batter. Overmixing can cause the gluten in the flour to form too much, resulting in a tough and dense loaf of bread.
Another common issue that can prevent banana bread from rising is using baking powder that has expired. If your baking powder is old or has been opened for a while, it may not work properly, leading to a flat loaf of bread. Check the expiration date on your baking powder before using it in a recipe.
What happens if I don’t put baking soda in banana bread?
If you don’tdon’t put baking soda in banana bread, the bread will not rise and will be dense. Baking soda is a leavening agent, which helps the bread rise. Without baking soda, the bread will not rise and will be dense.
How much milk do you put in banana bread?
Some recipes call for as little as 1/4 cup of milk, while others call for up to 1 cup. So what is the right amount of milk to use in banana bread? The answer depends on the recipe and your preferences.
You may not need as much milk if the recipe calls for many liquid ingredients like melted butter or eggs. But if the recipe doesn’t have a lot of liquid, you may need to add more than 1/4 cup of milk.
Following these simple instructions, you can make delicious and healthy banana bread. This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or snack. So why not give it a try today?